Author Topic: Another SAR Network in a Box  (Read 8806 times)

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
    • San Diego Mountain Rescue Team
Another SAR Network in a Box
« on: October 22, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »
Well, 3 boxes.  First, we've got the computers.  The model is HP 4530s and they have nice big screens and keyboards.  They barely fit in the Pelican 1440 case along with 3 AC adapters, 3 DC adapters, 3 mice and a bunch of ink for the printer.

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
Re: Another SAR Network in a Box
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »
...next, the printer.  It's an Epson WorkForce 60, which we got because it's fast, color, has waterproof ink, and comes with WiFi.  The case is a pelican 1620.  Bolting it down in the case took some work.  I used square aluminum tubing.  It turned out to be a good fit, but the printer is not designed to have holes drilled in it an be bolted down, so we'll see how well it stays in there.

Along with the printer, we've got an inverter to run the thing off a car, some extra paper, a power strip and a light.  There are also some accessories for our router: an antenna, tripod and cable.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:23:36 AM by Jeff Beckman »

Jeff Beckman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:23:33 PM »
... and finally, we've got the network.  The two major items here are the CradlePoint router and a Goal Zero battery.  It's all mounted in a Pelican Storm 2300 case.  This setup runs continuously for about a day and a half without external power.

Since there are no screw mount locations in the case, I had to get creative.  I wanted to borrow a trick from aerospace thermal protection system mounting, but the glue for polypropylene was seriously expensive.  It turns out that another adhesive I found at a local hardware store worked great, and held on some zip tie mounts to attach the equipment.  FYI, regular super glue does not work on polypro.  Epoxy is even worse.  Scotch Weld is the best (and what they use on the 787), but the Loctite product above seems to work fine.

The router can accept a variety of internet sources, including USB modems, cellular hotspots, and virtually any other type of hotspot we can get permission to connect with (think Starbucks).  Should that hotspot be far away, we've got a directional 15dBi antenna, a tripod, and a cable for it. With the stock antenna, we have an unobstructed range of about 600 feet.  Using the directional antenna, we can go, well, a long way.  I've had trouble finding a good spot for a range test, but I know that at 1000 feet I get a very strong signal.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:36:51 AM by Jeff Beckman »

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:35:15 PM »
Nice!!!

I'm glad we work Mutual Aid together on Missions, I'm looking forward to seeing this in action!