Author Topic: Server in the Field: Multiple Mission Computers  (Read 9324 times)

jlehman

• View Profile
    • San Bernardino County Sheriff's SAR
Server in the Field: Multiple Mission Computers
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:07:04 AM »
While I haven't used MM in an actual mission, yet, I have worked many and I'm thinking of the various usage scenarios.

A number of popular mission locations in our county are in areas of zero cell availability. The county does have sat comm resources available, but they are usually present in the 2nd or 3rd operational period (if at all). This means that our data connection to the net is severely compromised.

The normal workflow is for check-in to be located in a place that is easily accessible to responding personnel, and planning to be co-located with computer and other resources. Planning periodically receives the resource info and makes assignments accordingly. If we don't have a good net connection, then what is the easiest way to get info from the check-in computer to the planning computer? How about a computer used at the radio station. If they are entering info live, then it would be useful to planning as well.

Probably the easiest way is with a member export from the check-in box and member import to the planning computer, but I don't know how that would play with the check-in info. Also, I don't remember being able to set a guest account flag or set other attributes on the import.

My supposition is that sneaker net is still the easiest. There could be a centrally designated computer that would eventually receive all of the info. The satellite computers (check-in, radio log, etc) could then sync their mission info with a flash drive, and that could then be synced with the planning computer so that all information is available to that box.

A fancier solution to this would be to initiate a server process on the planning computer, and have all the syncing via a local wireless network that would allow all of the satellite computers to upload their data to the on-site server. This would allow all resources available to everybody and it could later be uploaded when there was a net connection.

What do you think of a "field server" model?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:13:25 AM by jlehman »
Jeff Lehman
San Bernardino County SAR
Cave Team
caverescue.net
sbsar.org

Radishworks

• View Profile
Re: Server in the Field: Multiple Mission Computers
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:43:58 AM »
Currently there is no "sync to flash drive" (a file) feature, but that is an interesting idea.  I'll add this to the feature request list for the future.  Assuming there was a sync to file function, there is no reason that file couldn't be sent to a field server via a wireless field network. 

A note about member import/export, this is currently an on-line feature only.  It is designed so you import all your members to the on-line DB and these members are synced to the local machine with the sync button. 

You are correct, the "Guest" was not an option on import.  It is now.

Mike

toddclausen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 11:09:19 AM »
We would also see having an offline server as useful.  Our CP generally will have at least 3 laptops up and running Mission Manager, one for radio operator, another general logging and check in and another on the mapping tab.   Part of the reason is in the field where available we are running on a mifi with amplified antenna, and the load times switching between tabs with this setup can be measured in minutes and so not optimal for us to run on only one computer.  We have the ability to run a wired or wireless network between machines so if there were the option to have one machine making calls to another server would be great!
Todd Clausen
People and Paws SAR

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 11:57:53 AM »
Something to watch out for when you have a slow mifi connection is Windows (or other) updates.  We have 12 machines dedicated to missions now.  Since these machines are for the most part for missions, they may not get turned on very often.  We've been burned a couple of times by machines trying to do a Windows Update in the middle of a mission and slowing down the whole network.  We try to make sure "auto update" is off for all mission computers.  This can apply to things like Java, Adobe PDF viewer etc. 

Mike

SAR1307

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 01:03:48 PM »
Has this Idea been perused anymore?  we are very interested in running multiple computers in the field.

Radishworks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 08:44:10 AM »
Has this Idea been perused anymore?
Always thinking about this, but nothing has been released yet  :D